IRS offers useful tips on how to get prior year tax information

ATLANTA – IRS has published a list of nine things to know if a taxpayer needs federal tax return information from a previously filed tax return.

Among the tips are the following: free copies of federal tax return information can be obtained on the agency website, by telephone, or by mail; there is no fee for transcripts, which are presently available for the current tax year as well as the past three tax years; a tax return transcript shows most line items from a tax return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules, but does not reflect any changes made after the return was filed; and a tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either a taxpayer or IRS made after the tax return was filed.

The complete list of things to know can be found at,,id=105370,00.html.

Related Articles

Back to top button